Thanks to funding from the Areti Charitable Trust, Francis C Scott Charitable Trust and National Lottery Community Fund, in August 2021 we embarked on the 2021 summer expedition – The Highest, Longest, Deepest, Darkest & Wildest Challenge, which included:
- The Highest – hiking to the summit of Scafell Pike, the highest mountain in England.
- The Longest – canoeing the length of Windermere Lake (11 miles), the longest lake in England.
- The Deepest – abseiling 160 feet into the depths of Cathedral Quarry.
- The Darkest – exploring Yordas Cave in North Yorkshire, one of the darkest places in England.
- The Wildest – a night spent wild camping atop of the fells in the ‘wildest’ of weather.
Quotes from young people, parents and guardians:
“It was really fun and it taught me that if I keep fighting I can achieve anything I want to”
“The challenge helped me to face my fears and to make new friends”
“This challenge really built up my son’s confidence, he came back with a positive attitude and was absolutely proud of everything he had achieved as he initially thought he couldn’t do it. Lastly, the challenge was great for his mental health and he also made new friends. Thank you so much, he now has amazing memories too.”