Find your Purpose, Realise your Ambition was a work preparation and career development programme for 16-25 years olds delivered by Lancashire Youth Challenge in partnership with the Lancaster based charity, the Adullam Programme (https://www.adullamprogramme.co.uk/) and supported by Lancaster University.
Ten young people were recruited to attend a FREE 9-month programme of mentoring & coaching support, work preparation & entrepreneurialism workshops, employability training, communication skills training and real-world work experience opportunities.
Young people attending the programme accessed:
1-1 Coaching and Mentoring Sessions delivered by an LYC youth worker and supported by a peer mentor.
Values, Mission and Entrepreneurial Thinking workshops with trained consultants to help identify key strengths and skills sets.
A Work Preparation Training Course delivered by business leaders and consultants at the Adullam Programme in Lancaster; exploring all areas of employment including application writing, CV development, interview techniques, communication skills, online promotion, job market analysis and employment rights.
A Business Buddy with lived experience (local businessperson or peer mentor) of successfully accessing the world of work or facilitating their own creative business; accessed either online or via phone.
Real World Work Experience via a 2-week professional work experience placement.
Introduction to FE/HE workshops delivered by the Widening Participation team at Lancaster University.
At the end of the 9-month programme, participants went away with:
- A bespoke Personal Action Plan and Purpose Statement
- A developed interest in developing their own business ideas
- An understanding of self-employment, entrepreneurialism, and self-efficacy
- An increased level of confidence, self-esteem, and self-worth
- A clear concept of their personal values, aspirations, aims and purpose
- A sense of achievement and personal success
- An increased willingness to meet new people and make new connections
- A robust knowledge and understanding of the job market and the skills to navigate it